"For the LORD God of Israel says That He hates divorce, For it covers one's garment with violence," Says the LORD of hosts. "Therefore take heed to your spirit, That you do not deal treacherously." (Mal 2:16)
God hates divorce. But yet it’s such a part of our society. Throwaway toys, throwaway cameras, and throwaway marriages! And look at the result of the divorce craze from the last few decades. Look at how there are no winners . . . only losers, and especially those kids. No wonder God hates divorce and has a better way. Consider the following from the Word of God:
1) God made marriage for life - (Mat 19:5-6) "and said, 'For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh'? 6 "So then, they are no longer two but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate."
2) There will be rough times in marriage - (1 Cor 7:28) . . . Nevertheless such will have trouble in the flesh . . .
3) But Jesus is the Rock upon which our house (family/marriage) will stand! - (Mat 7:25) "and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it did not fall, for it was founded on the rock.
4) Marriage problems are tough but they make you tough and build up your character in Christ - (Rom 5:3-4) And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; 4 and perseverance, character; and character, hope.
5) Marriage problems test if your love is God’s (agape) love or the superficial love of the world - (1 Cor 13:7-8) bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 8 Love never fails . . .
6) Forgiveness is the key - (Eph 4:31-32) Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice. 32 And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God in Christ forgave you.
7) Divorce is the last option and for cases of infidelity - (Mat 5:32) "But I say to you that whoever divorces his wife for any reason except sexual immorality causes her to commit adultery; and whoever marries a woman who is divorced commits adultery.
These are principles from God’s Word about divorce. Of course marital problems can get really complicated and that’s when we need to seek the Lord about the intricacies and if needed get counsel from the godly (Psa 1:1-3). Watch out for ungodly counsel from the world and even through “friends”. Seek the Lord and do the right thing. The Lord loves those who are hurting and confused from marital difficulties and seeks to comfort them and heal their broken heart (Psa 147:3). Be patient and watch God work. Let Him take control and see what the Lord will do "For with God nothing will be impossible." (Luke 1:37)