SUMMARY LESSONS FROM THE BOOK OF JOB
Ever feel like Job? All beat up from life and everything has gone wrong at one time? It’s hard to make sense out it all, isn’t it? That’s why we need the book of Job to encourage us.
Some people of “faith” say to not read the book of Job or else you’ll experience a big trial (like coming down with a cold!). That is superstition, and it is silly. We need the book of Job for any level of struggles we face. Like someone has said, we are either entering a trial, are currently in one, or are exiting one. But remember what Jesus said: (John 16:33) These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.” So, if we are going to have trouble in life, let’s learn how to handle it before it handles us. Having trouble does not mean you have to be a troubled person. Through Jesus we can learn to be overcomers instead of being overcome. Let’s learn from Job:
- THERE IS SPIRITUAL WARFARE GOING ON BEHIND THE SCENES THAT WE ARE USUALLY UNAWARE OF (Job 1-2). (Eph 6:12) For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.
- WE SERVE GOD NOT FOR PROSPERITY, BUT BECAUSE WE LOVE HIM (Job 1:9-11). (Job 13:15) Though He slay me, yet will I trust Him . . . (1 Tim 6:5-8)
- TRIALS DO NOT NECESSARILY MEAN THERE IS SIN IN OUR LIVES OR THAT WE HAVE A LACK OF FAITH (Job 1:8). (Isa 53:3) He (Jesus) is despised and rejected by men, A Man of sorrows and acquainted with grief. And we hid, as it were, our faces from Him; He was despised, and we did not esteem Him. (2 Cor. 12:7-10)
- WE LEARN GOD’S SOVEREIGNTY AND CONTROL DURING TIMES OF TRIAL (Job 38:1-4). (Psa 37:3-7) Trust in the LORD, and do good; Dwell in the land, and feed on His faithfulness. 4 Delight yourself also in the LORD, And He shall give you the desires of your heart. 5 Commit your way to the LORD, Trust also in Him, And He shall bring it to pass. 6 He shall bring forth your righteousness as the light, And your justice as the noonday. 7 Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for Him; Do not fret…
- IF WE PERSEVERE, WE WILL BE BLESSED! (Job 42:7-17). (James 5:11) Indeed we count them blessed who endure. You have heard of the perseverance of Job and seen the end intended by the Lord; that the Lord is very compassionate and merciful. (James 1:12) Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him. (2 Tim 2:12) If we endure, We shall also reign with Him.