LIVING ON LESS
(Phil 4:11-13) Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: 12 I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. 13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
There are times in life when you will be up and times when you will be down. And that is also in regards to finances. The reason could be a tough economy, job loss, a disability, divorce, or a number of things. During times like these we not only need encouragement but also good advice to get us through. What better way than to turn to God's Word? With God's help we will be able to live on less. Here are some things to think about:
- Save. Put some money aside for emergencies as well as for that time when you have to live on less. (Pro 6:6-8) . . . the ant . . . provides her supplies in the summer, and . . . food in the harvest.
- Keep your expenses low. Be realistic. Don't try to live like the rich man you're not. (Gal 6:3) For if anyone thinks himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceives himself.
- Avoid credit and pay everything off. That way when you have to live on less you won't be agonizing over your low income going toward debt. (Rom 13:8) Owe no one anything . . .
- Pay cash for large items like appliances, etc. Buy a newer, used car with lower mileage.
(Pro 22:3) A prudent man foresees evil . . . but the simple pass on and are punished.
- Maintenance. Take care of your things so they won't break down and cost you more in the long run. (1 Cor 4:2) Moreover it is required in stewards that one be found faithful.
- Keep on tithing. Remember the poor widow's mites? (Luke 21:4) but she out of her poverty put in all the livelihood that she had.”
- Trust. You are a child of the King. Won't God provide royally for His own? (Mat 7:11) . . . how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him!
- Attitude. Learn contentment in your financial state. Things will turn around eventually. Until they do you will be able to live on less because of God's strength. Then you will be in a position to encourage others who are struggling. (Luke 3:14) . . . be content with your wages.”
- Persevere, because your reward is coming! (James 5:11) Indeed we count them blessed who endure. You have heard of the perseverance of Job . . . that the Lord is . . . merciful.