MASTER YOUR MEDIA
(Psa 101:3) I will set nothing wicked before my eyes . . .
What would you do if a pipe broke in your house and all the sewage from your household backed up onto your floor and kept pouring out? You’d go nuts! You’d be scrambling around trying to shut the water off and trying to get the pipes to drain properly. Then you’d have a huge cleanup job on hand, wouldn’t you? You’d have to replace the flooring and you’d have to get the smell out. It would be such a big ordeal you’d pray you’d never have to go through it again.
But what about the sewage that comes out of our TV and computer and devices? Are you as vigilant against the slime that is pouring out of that media pipe right into your eyes and ears and that settles into the receptacle of your heart and mind?
I don’t understand the attitude of some Christians who are so conservative in other areas of their life but when it comes to their entertainment they are as liberal as they come. What are we thinking as believers in Christ? Don’t we know what the Word of God says: (1 Pet 1:15-16) but as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, 16 because it is written, "Be holy, for I am holy." We have a choice to feed our spirit or to feed our flesh (old sinful nature). If we feed our spirit, we will grow strong in the Lord and will overcome temptation. If we feed our flesh, then our flesh will rise up and dominate. And our flesh has a big appetite. Don’t feed it! Watch out what you ingest because you’re going to have spiritual indigestion!! (Gal 6:7-8)
I’ve heard the excuses for liberal entertainment:
- Don’t worry. I can handle it. This movie has a good plot and I just look past the cussing, nudity, drug content, violence, crude humor, bedroom scenes, gay portrayals, etc. It doesn’t have any affect on me! (1 Cor 15:33) Do not be deceived: "Evil company corrupts good habits."
- I come home tired and need something to relax me. (Mat 11:28) "Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
- I’ve been under stress and just need an outlet. What’s wrong with a little entertainment to soothe me? The Lord allows for my weaknesses, doesn’t He? (Rom 6:1) What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound?
- I’m lonely. Media is my companion. (Heb 13:5) . . . "I will never leave you nor forsake you."
- My family or friends and I need something to do when we get together. (Acts 2:42) And they continued steadfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers.
Brothers and sisters . . . keep the media pipe clean so your heart will stay pure. (Mat 5:8) Blessed are the pure in heart, For they shall see God.